THE PROFESSIONAL DIRECTOR CERTIFICATION PROGRAM™ - BOARD GOVERNANCE TRAINING
The Professional Director Certification Program™ is a board of directors training program that develops board governance expertise by ensuring that board directors have the skills, knowledge, attitude and capabilities to fully contribute to the pursuit of excellence.
Specific objectives of the Professional Director Certification Program™ are as follows:
- To develop and implement a multi-tiered program which meets the training and development needs of aspiring and experienced directors;
- To improve the confidence and capabilities of directors in their governance practices;
- To ensure a solid understanding of the fiduciary duties of directors;
- To ensure directors are both knowledgeable of and well positioned in an effective and appropriate governance system;
- To provide education in all aspects of governance: behavioural, cultural and structural; and
- To provide participants with a certification program that recognizes them as Professional Directors™ (Pro.Dir™.)
The key benefits for the directors participating in the program are that by its end they will have:
- The skills and competence required to fulfill their roles as board members;
- An excellent knowledge of the function of corporate governance and how it operates within their business, sector and organizational structure;
- A good knowledge of business finance and the tools and know-how to use financial information appropriately at the board level; and
- A good understanding of their own personal strengths and weaknesses and be able to continually develop themselves to meet their future needs.
Professional Director™ - Program Structure
This board of directors training program is comprised of five separate modules available online, plus a comprehensive practicum/exam. This program provides for a mix of adult learning model delivery mechanisms and places a major emphasis on experiential learning.
Modules 1 through 4 are required modules. After completing these, you will then have access to the practicum exam. The practicum is a comprehensive case study. You will interact with the case study and make decisions as a “board member” of a fictitious corporation. Successfully completing this practicum is your final exam.
Immediately on passing the exam, you are free to use your new designation, Pro.Dir short for Professional Director.
For those students who choose to also take Module 5: Governance and the Public Good, you will receive a further designation Pro.Dir.Gov short for Professional Director Government. This designation will serve you well should you serve on any type of public sector board.
This board of directors training program is built on various adult learning models and techniques. These include:
- Analyzing case studies
- Making use of a number of highly skilled faculty that include experienced Chairs, CEOs and board members
- Learning in board room behavior, culture, processes, and dynamics
- Taking the participant through a series of scenarios and decisions that affect the outcome of a proposed problem
- Playing the role of a director in a realistic boardroom practicum